Category Archives: Cypriot Women

Athina K. Dianellou (Αθηνά Κ. Διανέλλου) and Evgenia A. Theodotou (Ευγενία Α. Θεοδότου) busts

Γενική όψη του χώρουn Προτομή Αθηνάς Κ. Διανέλλου (Διανέλλειο Γυμνάσιο) (4)n Προτομή Ευγενίας Α. Θεοδότου (6)n

Artist: Andreas Thymopoulos (for A.K. Dianellou) and Ioannis Notaras (for E.A. Theodotou) 

Location: Dianellos and Theodotou high school, Ayias Paraskevis St., Strovolos. Nicosia district

Material: Marble

Dimensions: 2 meters (the pedestals) 

Category: Cypriot Women, Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Dianellos and Theodotou high school function in the same premises of the former Nicosia Greek Orphanage. Athina Dianellou and her sister Evgenia Theodotou are considered to be two of the most important benefactors in Cyprus, supporting financially schools and charitable institutions. Evgenia Theodotou’ bust was commissioned in 1959 and the unveiling took place on June 24th 1961.

Selected sources: 
~ Ελευθερία (Eleftheria), June 25, 1961.
~ Αντώνιος & Ευγενία Θεοδότου. Οι άνθρωποι και το έργο τους (Antonios & Evgenia Theodotou. People and their deeds). Cyprus Bank Historical Archive, Nicosia: 2011.

Keywords:

Memorial to “The Mother”

Γλυπτό Η Μάνα (1)n Γλυπτό Η Μάνα (5)n

Artist: Theodoulos Theodoulou 

Location: The Mother square, Siakolas Commercial Park, Athalassa area, Strovolos. Nicosia district

Material: Brass

Dimensions: 2.56 meters (with the pedestal)

Category: Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

In 2006-2007 Nikos K. Shacolas submitted to the Advisory Monuments’ Committee his proposal for a sculpture dedicated to the memory of his mother Eleni. 

“The Mother” overturns all visual connotations applied to Cypriot mothers. Because of its individual character it is the only public depiction of a mother as a charming young woman joyfully playing with her children, exposing her body in a carefree manner, and ignoring altogether the conformism of the implicit or explicit heroic commemorations. 

That exception proves the power of the prevailing female stereotypes in Cyprus. The snapshot impression this memorial evokes was allowed for the reason that it is not making part of the nationalistic iconology. The elimination of this parameter permitted the individual facial traits, the emergence of personal emotions, and the fluid, relaxed movement of the body. Among all female representations in commemorative public sculpture in Cyprus this is the only case of a woman with an individual identity who vindicates the right to be herself, indifferent to society’s gaze.

Selected sources:
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/12, document June 7, 2006.

Keywords:

Ourania Kokkinou (Ουρανία Κοκκίνου) bust

Ουρανία Κοκκίνου (1)n Ουρανία Κοκκίνου (2)n

Artist: Aggelika Korovessi

Location: Phaneromeni elementary school, old city of Nicosia. Nicosia district

Material: Brass

Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59, Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the memorial was taken, among others, by the politicians Tassos Papadopoulos and Manolis Christofidis. The unveiling took place on July 12th 1996. An ad hoc private committee called an artistic competition and coordinated the fundraising. The competition gave no satisfactory results and as a consequence an invitation was made directly to the sculptor Aggelika Korovesi.

The bust is situated at the Faneromeni elementary school because Kokkinou herself attended this school, and, subsequently, taught there. In contrast to the norm, this bust symbolically depicts the hands of the commemorated person, in an attempt to insinuate her personality and her activity both as a teacher and as a patriot. Kokkinou was coordinating the female division of the Orthodox Christian Youth Union (OXEN) and during the 1950s she recruited many young Cypriot girls to the EOKA fight.

An inscription between her hands writes: “I fight to honor my national dignity” (Αγωνίζομαι για να κρατώ ψηλά την εθνική μου αξιοπρέπεια). A second inscription was added after the inauguration, narrating in a more descriptive way her social identity: “The first woman theologian in Cyprus. She was always at the forefront. She recruited, coordinated and inspired fighters for freedom. She fought, she got imprisoned and persecuted. She taught with her words and actions” (Πρώτη γυναίκα θεολόγος της Κύπρου. Ήταν πάντα στις επάλξεις. Στρατολόγησε, οργάνωσε και ενέπνευσε αγωνιστές της ελευθερίας. Αγωνίστηκε, φυλακίστηκε, διώχθηκε. Δίδαξε με το λόγο και το παράδειγμά της).

Selected sources:
~ Αγών (Agon), February 5, 1995, p. 7.
~ Αλήθεια (Alithia), February 6, 1995, p. 3.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), December 5, 1994, p. 4.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), February 5, 1995, p. 22.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), February 2, 1995, p. 4.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), February 6, 1995, p. 5.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.9, documents June 3, 1994; June 13, 1994; June 27, 1994; September 15, 1994; February 2, 1995; May 28, 1996; June 17, 1996; Meeting Minutes July 1, 1996.

Keywords:

Efrosyni Proestou (Ευφροσύνη Προεστού) bust

Ευφροσύνη Προεστού (1)n Ευφροσύνη Προεστού (5)n

Artist: Charis Evaggelou 

Location: Markos Drakos Street, Ledra Pallas barricade, Nicosia. Nicosia district

Material: Bronze

Dimensions: 136 cm x 45 cm x 45 cm 

Category: Turkish Invasion, Cypriot Women 

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Efrosyni Proestou was also called “The Lady of Lapithos”, because of her daring decision to hide (and thus save) twelve Greek Cypriot soldiers. They found a shelter close to her house in Lapithos village for a whole month, during and after the Turkish invasion. Proestou was imprisoned and risked the death penalty for her action.

In the Greek traditional family and society, calling a woman “Kyrá” (lady) is a title of honor which insinuates moral value and implies deeds complying with the patriarchal perception of women’s identities. 

The initiative for the memorial was taken by the Lapithos Municipality, the “Lapithos” Refugee Association  and the twelve soldiers. The latter covered the total cost. Lapithos is in the occupied part of Cyprus, but still elects its authorities in the Greek Cypriot, southern part, as all occupied municipalities and communities do. The unveiling of the memorial took place on September 25th 2002.

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), September 24, 2002, p. 4.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/3, document April 14, 2002.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/7, document July 8, 2004.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/20, Meetings Minutes November 19, 1999; January 19, 2000. 
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.10, documents September 27, 1999; November 2, 1999. 
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.11, document April 4, 2000; Meetings Minutes March 31, 2000; April 6, 2000. 
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.12, documents March 13, 2001; December 17, 2001; April 10, 2002; Meetings Minutes June 21, 2000; April 8, 2002.

Κeywords:

Memorial to the Benefactors Alexandra N. Iacovidis (Αλεξάνδρα Ν. Ιακωβίδη) and Nikolaos Iacovidis (Νικόλαος Ιακωβίδης)

Μνημείο Ευεργετών (4)n Μνημείο Ευεργετών (5)n Μνημείο Ευεργετών (6)n

Artist: Unknown

Location: Saint Nicholaos church, Aglandjia. Nicosia district 

Category: Public Figures, Cypriot Women 

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Alexandra and Nikolaos Iakovidis were benefactors. No further information is available.

Keywords:

Aggeliki Sotiriou “Philimon” (Αγγελική Σωτηρίου «Φιλήμων») bust

Αγγελική Σωτηρίου (1)n Αγγελική Σωτηρίου (3)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Cross church, Pano Kivides. Limassol district

Material: Copper

Dimensions: 2.63 meters (in total)

Category: EOKA 1955-59, Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Aggeliki Sotiriou was a member of EOKA 1955-59 and was known by the nickname “Filimon”. Her memorial is located in close proximity to where she was killed.

The initiative for the commemoration was taken by the women’s organization of the Democratic Party (ΓΟΔΗΚ/GODIK), which also coordinated the fundraising. The unveiling took place on Arpil 1st 1990

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), March 16, 1989, p. 3.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), February 2, 1990, p. 5. 
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/7, document January 29, 1990. 
Keywords

Memorial to the Pitsilia Women Fighters

Αγωνίστρια Πιτσιλιάς (2)n Αγωνίστρια Πιτσιλιάς (6)n

Artist: Christos Symeonidis Chrisimos 

Location: Saint Kyriaki church, Agros. Limassol district 

Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59, Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the memorial was taken in 1998 by an ad hoc committee for the memorial to the EOKA 1955-59 fighters. 

The distinct segregation between masculine and feminine identities becomes explicitly tangible in the case of the sole memorial acknowledging and honoring women’s contribution to national struggles, paying a “reverent commemoration and praise” to them as indicated on the inscription. 

Nevertheless, the sculpture does not include any of the expected, or necessary under the circumstances, male attitudes of aggressiveness or militaristic spirit. On the contrary, the woman depicted is illustrated in favour of the female stereotype, as a mild, rather agreeable creature, saluting with her right hand while holding a stone in her left hand, which rests bended on her stomach. Symbolic cultural values prove rigid enough to prevent any visual representation of a shifting identity, which could deconstruct the dominant codes. 

Keywords:

Nitsa Chatzigeorgiou (Νίτσα Χατζηγεωργίου) bust

Προτομή Νίτσας Χατζηγεωργίου (5)n

Προτομή Νίτσας Χατζηγεωργίου (2)n

Artist: Leonidas Spanos 

Location: Agios Dometios Youth union premises, Kyriakou Matsi Avenue, Agios Dometios. Nicosia district.

Material: Copper

Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59, Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Nitsa Chatzigeorgiou was a member of Agios Dometios’ parish and a fervent supporter of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle. She was disseminating its’ ideology, recruiting young people, and active throughout the EOKA 1955-59 struggle. The initiative for the bust was taken in 2004 and the unveiling took place on March 13th 2005.

Selected sources: 
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/7, document May 13, 2004.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/8, document September 15, 2004.

Keywords:

Monument to the Mother of many children

Γλυπτό Πολύτεκνης Μάνας (4) n  Γλυπτό Πολύτεκνης Μάνας (9 copy n

Artist: Kikis Patsalos

Location: At the “Mother of many children” park, Kantaras St. Larnaka, Agioi Anargyri area. Larnaka district. 

Material: Bronze 

Category: Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The monument was commissioned in 2008 by the Larnaka regional committee of large families. The unveiling took place on October 26th 2008. 

On the pedestal it is written: “To you mother of many children who sacrifice yourself. You offer your body and soul to society bringing up good citizens to be” (Για σένα μάνα πολύτεκνη που γίνεσαι θυσία, προσφέρεις σώμα και ψυχή σπονδή στην κοινωνία, καλούς πολίτες και αγαθούς παιδιά να μεγαλώσεις).

Keywords:

Memorial to the Cypriot Mother

Κυπρία Μάνα (1)n

 Κυπρία Μάνα (7)n Κυπρία Μάνα (13)n

Artist: Andreas Terentis 

Location: Kyriakou Matsis Avenue, Aradippou village. Larnaka district. 

Material: Cement 

Category: Cypriot women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the memorial was taken by the Aradippou Municipality and the Larnaka Committee of the Cypriot Guardsmen’ Mothers and Husbands (ΠΕΜΣΕ/PESME). The unveiling took place on October 9th 1996. The cost was covered through private funding.

One of the statues is an exact copy of the Perivolia village (Larnaka district) statue of Kallipatira, and the Mother of the dead and missing memorial at Vrisoules village (Ammochostos district). All three statues (as well as the whole memorial of Aradippou listed here) are made by the same sculptor. 

Selected sources:
~Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), December 6, 1995, p. 4.
~Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), December 23, 1995, p. 20.

Keywords:

Christoforos Christoforou (Χριστόφορος Χριστοφόρου) and Eleni Papachristoforou (Ελένη Παπαχριστοφόρου) busts

Προτομές ζεύγους  (3) n

Artist: Unknown

Location: Agiou Alexandrou church yard, Pyrga village. Larnaka district. 

Category: Cypriot Women, Turkish Invasion, Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The busts were commissioned by the “Alexandros Papachristoforou” Foundation. Christoforos Christoforou and his wife Eleni were the founders of the “House of the Missing” at Pyrga village.

Keywords:

Memorial area “Panorama of Greek Cypriot missing” or “House of the missing”

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 5 n

4 n

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 7 n

8 n 9 n

10 n

11 n

12 n

Artists: Vasilis Kattos (the seated weeping mother and the oversized head; and the “Missing soldier” or “Quest” outside the “House”)
Michalis Papadakis (the mother and the missing soldier in the inner yard)
Kostas Ikonomou (the frescoes) 

Location: “Alexander Papachristoforou” Foundation premises, adjacent to Agios Alexanndros church, Pyrga village. Larnaka district. 

Dimensions: 3 meters high (the oversized head and the “Missing soldier” or “Quest”)

Category: Cypriot Women, Turkish Invasion 

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The memorial belongs to the “Alexandros Papachristoforou” Foundation and was offered to the Cypriot state. The opening ceremony took place on May 22nd 1999.

Vasilis Kattos is the sculptor of the two artworks outside the “House”. On the left-hand side is located the “Missing soldier” or “Quest”. An oversized hand protectively embraces a soldier who bears the facial features of the missing Alexander, the son of the founders Christoforos Christoforou and Eleni Papachristoforou. According to the sculptor the missing soldier symbolically faces towards Pentadachtylos Mountain, in the occupied part of Cyprus.

On the right-hand side, the over-sized head of a Reserve Officer creates the central part of the composition. On his long hair is engraved a number of faces, and the number 1619 which corresponds to the officially listed as missing Greek Cypriots. The sculptor chose to depict only the head and not the body, as an implicit statement of the current unknown status of those soldiers. Next to the Officer’s head is an aged wailing mother. She is reminiscent of the familiar images of the suffering Cypriot mothers, and provides and instant glimpse into the experience of personal and social trauma.

In the inner yard the woman at the feet of the dead soldier who hangs from a pole could be his actual mother or, allegorically, motherland Cyprus. She screams in pain and horror while crawling on the ground. Her impressively intense grief deforms her face and the diagonal positioning of her body echoes her despair on the surrounding walls.

On those same walls a number of symbolic paintings narrate the tormented life of the missing and the prolonged mourning of their families. Flanking the entrance of the gallery Christ’s Crucifixion and Resurrection remind us of the strong relationship between Cypriot national conflicts and the Cypriot church, as well as the deeply rooted analogies between Christ’s and heroic sacrificial death. 

On a plaque on a pillar at the entrance of the “House of the missing” is written:“The island of Cyprus was invaded by Turkey on the 20th July, 1974. Turkish planes, heavy armor, landing craft, and tanks were used. The invading forces numbered 40.000 troops. They captured 40% of the island. Of the half million Greek Cypriot population thousands were killed [..] thousands taken prisoner. Nearly 200.000 became homeless refugees. 3.000 prisoners were released, but 1619 are still missing”.

The western wall of Agios Alexandros church is paved with the black and white photographs of the 1619 missing, while inside the art gallery, which is the central room of the “House”, six oversize paintings are narrating in an eloquent way the suffering of the missing and their families. 

Selected sources:
~ Μαραθεύτης Μιχαλάκης (Maratheftis Michalakis). 2000. Πανόραμα ελλήνων Αγνοουμένων της Κύπρου (Panorama of Greek Cypriot missing). Nicosia: Alexandros Papachristoforou Foundation. 
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), May 15, 1999, p. 16.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), May 23, 1999, p. 38.

Keywords:

Memorial to the lady of the Cypriot countryside

Προτομή Αρχόντισσας υπαίθρου (2)n

Προτομή Αρχόντισσας υπαίθρου (4)n

Artist: Vasos Kattos

Location: Morfou Avenue, Peristerona village. Nicosia district. 

Dimensions: 165 cm x 60 cm x 33 cm

Category: Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the bust was taken in 2007 by the community committees of Peristerona and Katokopia village and Agricultural association of the Social Democratic Party. 

Keywords:

Memorial to the Cypriot mother and the EOKA 1955-59 fighters

Μνημείο Κυπρίας Μάνας Παλαιχώρι (8)n Μνημείο Κυπρίας Μάνας Παλαιχώρι (24)n

Μνημείο Κυπρίας Μάνας Παλαιχώρι (7)n

Artist: Theodoros Vasiliou 

Location: Palaichori Orinis entrance. Nicosia district.

Dimensions: 159 cm x 111 cm x 159 cm the pedestal

2 meters the statue

Category: Cypriot Women, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The oversized seated mother is the most impressive visual element of this memorial. The massive size and the layout are reminiscent of the colossal Egyptian seated statues. Her heavy body is covered with a long, plain dress and her head is wrapped in a headscarf, typical everyday attire of the peasants who were taking care of the family and assisting with working the fields. Her strictly frontal position, the clear and simple lines and volumes of the stone and the absolute lack of any motion and emotion make her seem disconnected from the dead fighters next to her. Under her feet the two lines from Aggelos Sikelianos poem “Alafroiskiotos”: “Mother you breast fed me with fire turning my heart into a shining star”, underline her role and duty in the Cypriot society.

Michalakis Karaolis (Μιχαλάκης Καραολής), Kyriakos Matsis (Κυριάκος Μάτσης) and Nikos Georgiou’ (Νίκος Γεωργίου) bas reliefs are presented on the nearby commemorative wall.

The initiative for the memorial was taken in 1961 by Polykarpos Yiorkatzis, the Paleochori athletic and cultural union (APOP). Zina Kanther funded the memorial. The unveiling took place on November 19th 1961. In 1982 Andros Kazamias undertook the preservation of the statue. 

Selected sources:
~ Ελευθερία (Eleftheria), November 22, 1961, p. 2.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), September 5, 1983, p. 3. 
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), May 7, 1969, p. 3. 
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), May 13, 1993, p. 7.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), November 21, 1961, p. 4. 

Keywords:

Memorial to the dead and to Nikitari Mother

Μνημείο πεσόντων Νικηταρίου- Μνημείο Μάνας (3)n Μνημείο πεσόντων Νικηταρίου- Μνημείο Μάνας (11)nΜνημείο πεσόντων Νικηταρίου- Μνημείο Μάνας (9)nΜνημείο πεσόντων Νικηταρίου- Μνημείο Μάνας (14)n

Artist: Christos Symeonidis Chrisimos 

Material: Bronze (the busts and the medals)

Location: Nikitari village. Nicosia village

Dimensions: 136 cm x 40 cm x 305 cm (Spyrou bust). 115 cm (+81 cm the pedestal) 

55 cm x 44~74 cm (the bust of the mother)

Category: War Volunteers, Turkish Invasion, National Guard, EOKA 1955-59, Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The memorial was initially intended to commemorate only Kostas Spyrou who was killed during the Turkish invasion in 1974. It was subsequently designed to pay respects to all those Nikitari fighters who have died since 1940, including the volunteers during the Second World War. Nevertheless, Spyrou is the only one to be commemorated with a bust.

The Mother’s bust was added in 2006. Under her feet is written: “Mother, lady of Nikitari, lady of freedom, you crown your children as heroes” («Μάνα, κυρά του Νικηταριού, κυρά της λευτεριάς, τα παιδιά σου ήρωες τιμάς»). 

The female figure here intentionally keeps an ambiguous identity symbolizing simultaneously the concepts of both motherhood and motherland. Both identities aim to promote and underline the sacrificial nature of motherhood, and the women’s duty to serve and perpetuate the family and the nation. 

The memorial was funded by a private ad hoc committee for the Nikitari memorial, the Community Committee, and the Nikitari expatriates union and friends. The unveiling took place on November 26th 2006.

Selected sources:
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/4, Meeting Minutes October 10, 2002.  

Keywords:

Memorial to the Tsada dead & Evagoras Pallikaridis (Ευαγόρας Παλληκαρίδης) bust

Μνημείο πεσόντων Τσάδας και προτομή Ε. Παλληκαρίδη (1)n Μνημείο πεσόντων Τσάδας και προτομή Ε. Παλληκαρίδη (5)n

Μνημείο πεσόντων Τσάδας και προτομή Ε. Παλληκαρίδη (6)n Μνημείο πεσόντων Τσάδας και προτομή Ε. Παλληκαρίδη (3)n

Artist: Kostas Ikonomou, Nikos Garyfalakis (for Pallikaridis bust)

Location: Panagia Chryseleousa church yard. Pafos district.

Material: Marble (for the bust)

Dimensions: 123 cm x 45 cm x 34 cm (for the bust)

Category: EOKA 1955-59, Inter-communal conflicts 1963-64, Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The memorial is dedicated to Andreas Christodoulou (Ανδρέας Χριστοδούλου), Vladimiros Irakleous (Βλαδίμηρος Ηρακλέους) and Evagoras Pallikaridis (Ευαγόρας Παλληκαρίδης). It was commissioned by Tsada Youth Center and the unveiling took place in August 14th 1998.

The nearby pre-existing bust was commissioned in 1961 by Evagoras Pallikaridis’ family and the unveiling took place in May 13th 1962.

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), May 23, 1961, p. 1.

Keywords:

The Cypriot woman farmer

Μνημείο Κυπρίας Αγρότισσας (1)n Μνημείο Κυπρίας Αγρότισσας (5)n

Μνημείο Κυπρίας Αγρότισσας (3)n

Artist: Philippos Yiapanis 

Place: Evagora Laniti Avenue, Kouklia. Pafos district. 

Dimensions: 167 cm x 80 cm x 60 cm

Category: Cypriot Women

Photograph: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The monument was commissioned by the Kouklia Community Committee and the Cypriot Agricultural Organization. The unveiling took place on October 19th 2008.

Keywords:

Monument to the Mother with many children

            Πολύτεκνη Μάνα (10)n Πολύτεκνη Μάνα (14)n

Artist: Andreas Nikodimou

Location: Crossroads of Eleftherios Venizelou and Nikolaos Nikolaidis streets.

Pafos Municipality. Pafos district. 

Material: Stone

CategoryCypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The monument was commissioned by the Pafos Organization for large families and the unveiling took place on October 12th 2001. In 2002 the place where the monument was situated was renamed into “Square of the Mother of many children”.

Selected sources
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Πάφου (Pafos Municipality Archive) 8.1991, documents July 18, 2001; January 3, 2002; June 14, 2002; Meeting Minutes May 30, 2001.

Keywords:

Memorial to the Mother of the dead and missing

1.n  2n

Newlocation
new location

 Artist: Andreas Terentis

Location: On the main road of Agios Georgios settlement, opposite Vrisoules-Aheritou elementary school. Ammochostos district. 

Material: Marble 

Category: Cypriot women, Turkish invasion

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Vrisoules community committee commissioned the memorial and funded its construction. The unveiling took place on September 14th 1997. In 2012 the memorial was restructured and moved in a new location. An exact copy of the statue is used for the memorial dedicated to the Cypriot mother at Aradippou village and for Kallipatira statue at Perivolia village, both of them in Larnaka district. All three are made by the same sculptor.

Keywords:

Paralimni mother monument

3n 2n

1n

Artist: Christos Symeonidis Chrisimos 

Location: Paralimni Square. Ammochostos district. 

Category: Cypriot women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The monument was commissioned by the Paralimni Municipality. It was delivered in 2011 and was situated in Agios Georgios Park, creating a unified whole with the preexisting – since 2003 – dead and missing heroes’ memorial. 

A statement on the low pedestal underscores Cypriot women’s predominant duties and identity: She is “a busy bee, a field worker, a life pillar and mother of the Cypriot heroes” (Πολύβουη μέλισσα, της γης εργάτισσα, της ζωής στυλοβάτισσα, ηρώων μάνα Κυπριώτισσα).

Keywords: