Location: Center of Episkopio village. Nicosia district.
Category: EOKA 1955-59
Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou
The initiative for the memorial was taken by the local association “Pantelis Katelaris”. There is no further information on the dates of the construction.
The memorial is overloaded with aesthetic (and ideological) references to the Greek ancestral cultural tradition. The pillars are situated on elaborate bases and are crowned with a palmette and an arbitrary combination of architectural decorative motifs in Ionic order. On the front view the angel alludes to the ancient flying Eros. However, the wreath on its left hand, the laurel branches and the Greek flags that frame the black and white photograph of the deceased underneath its feet, explicitly promotes the heroic glorification following the Greek tradition of commemoration.