Artist: Andros Kazamias
Location: Opposite Panayia Odigitria church, Galata village. Nicosia district.
Dimensions: 5 meters in height
Category: EOKA 1955-59, Inter-communal conflicts 1963-64, Turkish Invasion
Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou
The bas relief on the front of the pillar depicts two empty shirts, an idea drawing its origins from Giorgos Seferis’ poem “Eleni”.
The memorial is dedicated to Chrysanthos Mylonas ((Χρύσανθος Μυλωνάς) and Evagoras Papachristoforou (Ευαγόρας Παπαχριστοφόρου) who died during the EOKA 1955-59 struggles; to Andreas Yeroudis (Ανδρέας Γερούδης) who died during the Inter-communal conflicts of 1964; to Georgios Zaharia (Γεώργιος Ζαχαρία) who died during the Turkish invasion; and to Panayiotis Athanasiou (Παναγιώτης Αθανασίου). It was commissioned in 1985 by Galata Community Committee and the architect Iakovos Filippou who collaborated with Andros Kazamias for the construction.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/11, document May 23, 1985.