Artist: Giorgos Kalakallas
Location: Larnaka marina, Finikoudes beach walk, Athinon Avenue. Larnaka district.
Material: Brass and granite
Category: Armenians, International relations, Inter-communal relations, Modern sculpture
Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou
The monument marks the place where Armenian refugees, fleeing persecution during the “Armenian massacres” or “Great Crime” of 1915, first landed in Cyprus. According to the plaque inserted on the nearby wall “It represents the gratitude of the Armenian nation towards the people of Cyprus for their assistance and generosity to those refugees and stands in memory of the countless victims of the Armenian genocide”.
The creation of the memorial was a joint effort on part of Cyprus and Armenia. It was initiated by the Armenian Representative in the Cypriot parliament Bedros Kalaydjian and funded by Cyprus government. The unveiling took place on May 28th 2008.
~Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/9, document May 19, 2005; July 19, 2005.