Location: Central square, Deryneia. Ammochostos district.
Dimensions: 156 cm x 39 cm x 25 cm
Category: EOKA 1955-59
Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou
The unveiling of the monument took place on June 12th 1966. In December 2001, Deryneia Municipality authorities decided to reposition the location of the bust within the square, in an effort to harmonise its presence with the rest of the surrounding buildings. That action caused intense complains from the deceased’s family and the local nationalistic union. The solution they proposed was dictated by the rational that busts and monuments in general hold a crucial role in collective memory and should be treated accordingly.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.94.7 vol. 7, document January 29, 2002.