Artist: Leonidas Spanos
Location: Grigoris Afxentiou square, Anexartisias Avenue, Limassol. Limassol district
Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59
Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou
The first decision for a statue dedicated to Grigoris Afxentiou was taken in 1961. At that time a decision was taken to also name the square where the statue would be placed after him. In 1967 an artistic competition was called and Andreas Savvidis’ concept was promoted as the most complete and complying with the requests. However, that work never came into fruition.
A second initiative for the memorial was taken in 1989 by the Pan Cypriot National-Popular Liberation Front (ΠΕΑΜ/PEAM). The statue was delivered by Spanos during the same year, but the unveiling took place seven years later, on February 25th 1996.
~ Ελευθερία (Eleftheria), September 10, 1961, p. 1.
~ Μάχη (Mahi), September 3, 1961, p. 1.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), March 30, 1990, p. 9.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), November 1, 1967, p. 4.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), Jun 22, 1968, p. 5.
~ Savvidis Christakis, Περιδιαβάζοντας τη Λεμεσό (Strolling around Limassol). Limassol Municipality: 1991.