Location: Lanitio high school
Category: War Volunteers, Public sculpture before 1960
Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou
The initiative for the memorial was taken by the Limassol Greek School Supervision, and the Limassol high school. The unveiling took place on June 14th 1915.
On the lower parts of the obelisk are engraved verses of the Greek national anthem and Plato’s sayings which remind the high duty to safeguard motherland. On one of the surfaces a bas relief depicts an owl along with branches of laurel, symbols of wisdom and sacrificial death.
~ Papapolyviou Petros, Η Κύπρος και οι Βαλκανικοί Πόλεμοι. Συμβολή στην Ιστορία του Κυπριακού Εθελοντισμού (Cyprus and the Balkan Wars. Contribution to the History of Cypriot Volunteers). Nicosia: Center of Scientific Research, Sources and Studies of Cypriot History XXVI, 1997.
~ Savvidis Christakis, Περιδιαβάζοντας τη Λεμεσό (Strolling around Limassol). Limassol Municipality: 1991.