Artist: Charis Evaggelou
Location: Achna village square. Ammochostos district.
Material: 117 cm x 118~140 cm
Category: EOKA 1955-59
Photography: Vicky Karaiskou
The construction of the monument was commissioned by the Private committee for Yiasoumis Theodosiou memorial, the nationalist Achna Union and the Cooperative Bank of Achna. The bust finished in 1999 and the unveiling of the monument took place in 2000.
Although the Advisory Monuments’ Committee strongly suggested a different spot for the memorial within the village square – due to its close neighboring with the church-like cement tent – it failed to persuade both the private committee and the nationalist Achna Union. The main reason the committee and the union insisted was because they wished the monument to be placed in visual contact with the “Yiasoumis association” building. The final location was the choice of the Private committee for Yiasoumis Theodosiou memorial and the nationalist Achna Union.
For accuracy reasons it is noted that on the official documents the family name of the hero is written as Chatzitheodosiou (Χ’’Θεοδοσίου) – where X’’ is an abbreviation of Chatzi – while on the pedestal the «Θεοδοσίου» (Theodosiou) version is used.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/2, Meeting Minutes September 21, 2001.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/13, Meeting Minutes June 25, 2002.