Tag Archives: Agios Dometios Municipality (Δήμος Αγίου Δομετίου)

Nitsa Chatzigeorgiou (Νίτσα Χατζηγεωργίου) bust

Προτομή Νίτσας Χατζηγεωργίου (5)n

Προτομή Νίτσας Χατζηγεωργίου (2)n

Artist: Leonidas Spanos 

Location: Agios Dometios Youth union premises, Kyriakou Matsi Avenue, Agios Dometios. Nicosia district.

Material: Copper

Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59, Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Nitsa Chatzigeorgiou was a member of Agios Dometios’ parish and a fervent supporter of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle. She was disseminating its’ ideology, recruiting young people, and active throughout the EOKA 1955-59 struggle. The initiative for the bust was taken in 2004 and the unveiling took place on March 13th 2005.

Selected sources: 
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/7, document May 13, 2004.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/8, document September 15, 2004.

Keywords:

Kyriakos Matsis (Κυριάκος Μάτσης) bust

Προτομή Κυριάκου Μάτση (3)n Προτομή Κυριάκου Μάτση (6)n

Artist: Andreas Savvides 

Location: Ministry of Agriculture & Natural Sources, Acheon Avenue, Agios Dometios. Nicosia district

Dimensions: 172 cm (+ 20 cm the steps) x 36 cm x 26 cm

Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the bust was taken in 1994 by the Ministry’s Agricultural Department association of the employees. The unveiling took place on November 19th 1995.

Keywords:

Location of the original Rainbow – Uplift

Γλυπτό Ουράνιο Τόξο- Ανάταση (4)n Γλυπτό Ουράνιο Τόξο- Ανάταση (15)n

Artist: Nikos Kouroussis

Location: Kolokasidis roundabout, Agios Dometios. Nicosia district.

Category: Turkish Invasion, Modern sculpture

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the art piece, which would symbolize Cypriot peoples’ will for freedom and resistance, was taken and realized in 1975 by the artist Nikos Kouroussis.

However, some years later the artwork was removed because weather conditions damaged it considerably. Although the artist requested its restoration, local authorities chose to remove it and replace it with an abstract synthesis.: A number of interlocking rings are diagonally arranged among them in a way to cover the entire roundabout area. According to a 2005 document the symbolical intension of the work was to promote the Olympic spirit ideals of friendship, peace, cooperation and reconciliation. In 1997-98 the necessary restoration works, due to the gradual erosion over time, ignited controversial discussions on the necessity to keep or remove the artwork altogether.

Selected sources:
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/3, Meeting Minutes November 27, 1975.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee), 14.3.01, document June 1, 2001.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee), 14.3.01/5, document February 25, 2003.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee), 14.3.01/10, document July 25, 2005.

Keywords:

Major General Tasos Markou (Τάσος Μάρκου) statue

 Τάσος Μάρκου (1)ν

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis

Location: Kolokasidis roundabout, Agios Dometios. Nicosia district

Material: Copper

Dimensions: 2.80 meters (the statue)

Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59, Inter-communal conflicts 1963-64, Turkish Invasion

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the memorial was taken in 1997 by an ad hoc committee for Tasos Markou statue, composed by officers of the National Guard, which also coordinated an extensive fundraising. The statue is symbolically viewing Pentadaktylos Mountain, in the occupied area, where the fighter is missing. The unveiling took place in 1999.

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), March 17, 1999, p. 16.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/16, document October 23, 1997.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), documents December 10, 1997; February 5, 1999.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee), 14.3.01/5, March 11, 2003.

Keywords: