Tag Archives: Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’)

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) bust

????????????? ???????? ????????? ????? (2)n ????????????? ???????? ????????? ????? (5)n

Artist: Unknown 

Location: Pafos Archdiocese, Pafos Municipality. Pafos district. 

Material: Marble 

Dimensions: 122 cm x 71 cm x 41 cm

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The bust was commissioned in 1982-1983 during the prettification of the Archdiocese yard.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) bust

Προτομή Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (3)n

Artist: Memos Makris

Place: Kykkos 2nd lyceum, Strovolos. Nicosia district

Dimensions: 156 cm x 46 cm x 31 cm

Category: Cypriot Church, ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59, Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The unveiling took place on January 19th 1981.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) bust

Αρχιεπίσκοπος  Μακάριος Στρόβολος (1)n Αρχιεπίσκοπος  Μακάριος Στρόβολος (6)n

Artist: Nikos Dymiotis

Location: Panayia Chriseleousa Church, Strovolos. Nicosia district 

Material: Marble

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the bust was taken in 1981 by the Panayia Chriseleousa church and Strovolos community. The unveiling took place on December 6th 1982.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) and Georgios Grivas Digenis (Γεώργιος Γρίβας Διγενής) busts

Γρίβας και Μακάριος ΣΙΜΑΕ (1)n Γρίβας και Μακάριος ΣΙΜΑΕ (2)n Γρίβας και Μακάριος ΣΙΜΑΕ (3)n Γρίβας και Μακάριος ΣΙΜΑΕ (5)n

Artist: Leonidas Spanos

Location: Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 Struggle (SIMAE) premises, Strovolos. Nicosia district

Material: Bronze

Category: Cypriot Church, ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59, Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The memorial was commissioned in 2002 by the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 Struggle (SIMAE) and the unveiling took place on April 13th 2005.

Selected sources:
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), February 17, 2009.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), February 17, 2009.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.2008.9, Meeting Minutes April 10, 2008.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.2009.10, document March 24, 2009; Meeting Minutes March 12, 2009.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

Ανδριάντας Αρχ. Μακαρίου Γ' (3)n

Artist: Apostolos Fanakidis 

Location: Forecourt of the Archbishopric Palace, Nicosia. Nicosia district 

Material: Marble

Category: Cypriot Church, EOKA 1955-59, Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The statue was commissioned in 2008 by the Archbishopric of Cyprus. The unveiling took place on May 29th 2011.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) bust

Προτομή Αρχ. Μακαρίου Γ' (1)n Προτομή Αρχ. Μακαρίου Γ' (7)n

Artist: Unknown

Location: Saint Savvas church yard, old city of Nicosia. Nicosia district.

Dimensions: 165 cm (+17 cm the pedestal) x 59 cm x 59 cm

Category: Cypriot Church, EOKA 1955-59, Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The bust was commissioned by the church committee of Saint Savvas. On the basis, in front of the bust is written: “We do not forget our enslaved villages and towns. We do not forget our enslaved land on which our altars and homes are built and in them our parents and ancestors are buried” (Δεν ξεχνούμε τα σκλαβωμένα χωριά και τις πόλεις μας. Δεν ξεχνούμε τους σκλαβωμένους τόπους που πάνω τους είναι κτισμένοι οι βωμοί και οι εστίες μας και μέσα τους είναι θαμμένοι οι γονιοί και οι πρόγονοί μας). 

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

Ανδριάντας Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (3)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis

Location: Archbishop Makarios III Avenue, Limassol. Limassol district

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

In 2002, an ad hoc private committee was in place coordinating negotiations with the authorities with regard to a memorial dedicated to Makarios III. After a period of five years, in 2007 the Pan Cypriot Association of Democratic Partisans took the initiative to bring the project to fruition. The unveiling took place on August 2nd 2007 on the occasion of 30 years since his death.

Selected sources:
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λεμεσού (Limassol Municipality Archive), 15.3.01, documents May 24, 2007; July 5, 2002; March 8, 2007; July 25, 2007.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/13, documents January 31, 2007; May 18, 2007; June 12, 207; June 15, 2007; July 2, 2007.

Keywords:

Memorial to Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’)

P1100116n P1100117n

Artist: Andreas Savvides 

Location: First Limassol Technical School, Limassol. Limassol district

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

An initiative to commemorate Archbishop Makarios III was taken by the Technical School Professors’ Association in 1977, the year of his death. A stele with his portrait in bas relief was placed in 1978 inside the school yard.

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), August 30, 1977, p. 1.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), march 2, 1995, p. 3. 
~ Savvidis Christakis, Περιδιαβάζοντας τη Λεμεσό (Strolling around Limassol). Limassol Municipality: 1991.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Artist: Andros Kazamias

Location: Police Headquarters, Lemesou Avenue, Aglandjia. Nicosia district

Material: Stone

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59

Photography: Adrienne Christiansen

The initiative for the statue of Makarios III was taken by the Police Associations and was commissioned in 1985 after a competition call. The cost was covered by fundraising among the Cypriot Police force members. The unveiling took place on June 18th 1992

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), March 24, 1985, p. 2.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), January 19, 1992, p. 20.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/4, competition call document; Meetings Minutes June 29, 1984; October 18, 1984.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/6, documents October 13, 2003; July 17, 2003; January 26, 2004.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) bust

Προτομή Μακαρίου (2)n Προτομή Μακαρίου (5)n

Artist: Andreas Savvides

Location: Archbishop Makarios III Avenue, in front of Saint Prodromos church, Mesa Geitonia. Limassol district

Material: Marble

Dimensions: 185 cm x 57 cm x 60 cm

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the bust was taken by the Mesa Geitonia national-popular association which coordinated the fundraising. It was placed in 1979.

Selected sources:

~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), October 21, p. 12.

Keywords:

The 1955-59 Heroes’ grove

Ηρώον Απελευθερωτικού Αγώνα ΕΟΚΑ 55-59 (5)n Ηρώον Απελευθερωτικού Αγώνα ΕΟΚΑ 55-59 (6)n Ηρώον Απελευθερωτικού Αγώνα ΕΟΚΑ 55-59 (13)n Ηρώον Απελευθερωτικού Αγώνα ΕΟΚΑ 55-59 (16)n Ηρώον Απελευθερωτικού Αγώνα ΕΟΚΑ 55-59 (21)n

Location: Pelendri – Kato Amiantos main road, Pelendri. Limassol district

Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The “Forest of the 1955-59 Heroes” is an extensive and complex memorial place made up of separate but interconnected parts: the Propylaea; the stele for the victims; the Fighters’ Hall; the hero-martyrs stairs; the Panayia Eleftheriotissa chapel; the EOKA oath text; the Honor Monument or Liberty Monument; the memory flame; and the heroes’ grove. 

The Pelendri memorial place is dedicated to the hundred and eight EOKA 1955-59 fighters who died during the struggle. Around Pelendri area a considerable number of conflicts took place and many hideouts of EOKA fighters were located.

The initiative for the memorial was taken by the EOKA 1955-59 fighters’ association of Limassol city and district (ΣΑΠΕΛ/SAPEL). Subsequently the coordination of the construction, which lasted from 1994 to 2001, and its funding was undertaken by the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle (ΣΙΜΑΕ/SIMAE). The first inauguration took place on September 28th 1997, while some parts of the construction were still pending completion. A second event followed on November 11, 2001 specifically for the exhibition place in the Fighters’ Hall. 

On the walls of the Propylaea two inserted copper plaques bear the portraits of Archbishop Makarios III and Georgios Grivas (known as Digenis) made by Leonidas Spanos.

Close by, in the Fighters Hall, is situated Evangelos Moustakas’ work titled “Liberty breaks its chains”. It is a modern, abstract synthesis in brass, based in insinuation than in narration. However, the dynamic formation of the trapped in the rods liberty, or victory, clearly pictures the struggle required. 

In the basement of the hall a series of paintings titled “Hymn to Liberty”, made by Andreas Makariou, narrate in a stylized way eloquent scenes of martyrdom, fighting, death, hope and heroic deeds. Andreas Makariou is also the artist of the paintings at the “Agios Georgios Boat Museum” in Chlorakas, where the second extensive and complex memorial dedicated to EOKA 1955-59 is located. 

The path, the “hero-martyrs stairs”, which leads to the Honor’s Monument or Liberty Monument is 650 meters long and is made up of 108 steps, each one symbolically dedicated to one of the dead fighters. Their names are engraved on marble plaques and inserted in the steps.

The Honor’s Monument or Liberty Monument is situated on a plateau overlooking the valley and the surrounding mountains. It consists of three parts: a low horizontal cement wall, a vertical pillar and the altar with the sacred fire, the eternal flame.

On the cement wall Evangelos Moustakas has carved a bas relief on a white marble plaque which symbolically and in a stylized manner narrates the martyrdom of the fighters. The waving flag, the replicated pieta pattern, the angel of victory who hastens the dead, and the sun implying hope, life and symbolizing resurrection make part of the narration. The end result bears strong aesthetic similarities to the reliefs on the commemorative wall in Chlorakas’ commemoration place made by the same artist. Under the bas relief, on the sloped surface of the marble is engraved the EOKA oath extending and accentuating the preceding visual narration. 

The inauguration of the memorial place took an extensive celebrative and symbolic form: a number of EOKA memorials all over Cyprus were symbolically selected by SIMAE to join with religious rituals for the Pelendri main events. In addition, on the eve of the inauguration a ceremonial ritual torch flame was lit at each selected memorial site and they were carried to Pelendri to light its altar. The flame was kept lit over night and during the inauguration ceremonies the following day.

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), September 22, 1997, p. 8. 
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), September 24, 1997, p. 4. 
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/12, Meeting Minutes September 27, 1994. 
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.94.7, vol. 7, Meeting Minutes September 14, 2008.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.2008.9, document June 6, 2008.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.2009.10, Meeting Minutes May 7, 2009. 

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

Ανδριάντας Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (1) n

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Grigoris Afxentiou Avenue, close to Evriviadio high school, Larnaka. Larnaka district. 

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the statue was taken by the Larnaka School Board. The unveiling of the statue took place on June 13th 1985. A second ceremony to inaugurate the memorial area, after the reconstruction, took place on January 19th 2011. 

Selected sources:
~Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), May 3, 1979, p. 10. 
~Σημερινή (Simerini), June 13, 1985, p. 7.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Old location

Ανδριάντας Αρχ. Μακαρίου Γ' Θρονί (5)n 

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Kykkos-Throni area, Panayia Kykkos monastery. Nicosia district

Material: Bronze 

Dimensions: 9.5 x 4.3 x 5.5 meters 

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Adrienne Christiansen & Evangelia Matthopoulou

This oversized statue of Makarios III is also known as “Colossus” or (unofficially) as “BigMac”. Although Kotziamanis was already working on the models in 1979, the whole construction took a long time in preparation and its placement in the Archbishopric yard, in the old city of Nicosia, happened only on July 24th 1987. The initiative for the statue was taken by Archbishop Chrisostomos I, who apparently acted contrary to the wishes of Nicosia Municipality authorities. The statue was supposed to symbolize “the fights for freedom and justice to the citizens of Cyprus; to become inspiration and guidance for the generations to come, so that they continue his work” 

Because “Colossus” location required the displacement and relocation of Archbishop Kyprianos’ bust within the Archbishopric yard, and possibly because of the unavoidable political connotations the statue’s extraordinary size raised, this specific Makarios monument ignited intense controversial debates and extensive press reports. Due to the tension created the initially programmed unveiling for August 3rd was postponed, and eventually cancelled. 

An alternative proposal for the statue to be relocated at Throni area, where Makarios III is buried, was already on the table in the beginning of August 1987. The relocation took place only after Chrisostomos II, the new Archbishop, reopened the issue in 2007. The unveiling at the current location took place on August 3rd 2013. 

The old location images are available here courtesy of Dr. Adrienne Christiansen. 

Selected sources:
~ Αλήθεια (Alithia), July 13, 1987.
~ Αλήθεια (Alithia), July 17, 1987.
~ Αλήθεια (Alithia), September 9, 1987.
~ Επίκαιρη (Epikeri), July 25, 1987.
~ Κήρυκας (Kirykas), July 12, 1987, p. 3.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 11, 1987.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 12, 1987.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 14, 1987.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 16, 1987.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 25, 1987.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), April 20, 1979, p. 2.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), April 21, 1979, p. 3.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), 27 July, 1987, p. 13.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), July 30, 1987, p. 2.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.1, document February 10, 1981; Meeting Minutes March 23, 1981;
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.2, document July 24, 1987.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.3, documents July 11, 1987; August 27, 1987. August 31, 1987; September 1, 1987; September 7, 1987; September 22, 1987; September 29, 1987.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.5, Meeting Minutes July 22, 1987; September 24, 1987.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) bust

Προτομή Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (2)n Προτομή Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (8)n

Artist: Nikos Dymiotis 

Location: Morfou Diocese premises, Evrychou village. Nicosia district 

Material: Marble 

Dimensions: 118 cm x 40 cm x 30 cm

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The bust was commissioned in 1980 by the Morfou Diocese and the unveiling took place on August 3rd 1983. 

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Ανδριάντας Μακαρίου (7)n Ανδριάντας Μακαρίου (10)n

Artists: Nikolaos Kotziamanis (the statue), Kyriakos Tamanas (the mosaics)

Location: Archbishop Makarios III Avenue, Akaki village. Nicosia district

Dimensions: 3.65 meters

Category: Cypriot Church, EOKA 1955-59, Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Makarios’ III statue, standing on a pedestal, is symmetrically flagged by two mosaic walls behind him. The inscription “Peoples who want to live, and who fight to live, do not perish” («Δεν χάνονται οι λαοί που θέλουν να ζήσουν και αγωνίζονται να ζήσουν») specifies in an eloquent way the visual descriptions of the mosaic panels. Both of them narrate in a fragmented synthesis the suffering of the Cypriot people, the wailing and mourning of the mothers and wives, and the despair of the soldiers. The wires and the prison bars create further emotionally charged connotations, adding symbolic value to the pictures. 

The memorial was commissioned by the expatriates from Akaki leaving in London, the Kykkos monastery, the Cypriot government, the Cypriot Archdiocese, and Akaki community. The unveiling took place on October 19th 1986. 

Selected sources:
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), October 19, 1986, p. 20.
~ Φιλελεύθερος, (Fileleftheros), October 19, 1986, p. 1.

Keywords

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) bust

Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος (4)n Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος (5)n

Artist: Andreas Savvides

Location: Polis Chrysochou high school. Pafos district. 

Material: Marble

Dimensions: 183 cm x 43 cm

CategoryCypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The bust was commissioned in 1978 by the teachers’ association and the committee of high school student councils. It was exhibited at a Pan Cypriot Art Exhibition which took place in January 1979 and was dedicated to Makarios III. 

Keywords:

Memorial to Archbishop Makarios III and to the dead fighters from Pafos

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Μνημείο Μακάριος και Αντίσταση (1)n Μνημείο Μακάριος και Αντίσταση (4)n Μνημείο Μακάριος και Αντίσταση (17)n

Artist: Apostolos Fanakidis

Place: Georgios Grivas Digenis Avenue, entrance of Pafos city. Pafos district.

Material: Stone

Dimensions: 5 x 5 meters (the head of Makarios)

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59, Inter-communal conflicts 1963-64, Inter-communal conflicts 1967, 1974 Coup, Turkish Invasion

Photograph: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The memorial was commissioned in 1992 by a private committee for the Makarios III-Resistance Memorial. Around Makarios’ over-sized head a series of plaques bear the names of all the dead fighters from Pafos since 1955. The unveiling took place on June 16th 1996. 

Selected sources
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), December 8, 1991, p. 10.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), November 20, 1994, p. 31.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), June 17, 1996, p. 3. 
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Πάφου (Pafos Municipality Archive), 12.96, documents December 11, 1992; June 8, 1993; June 2, 1994; November 30, 1995; November 6, 1996; November 29, 2006; February 1999; Meeting Minutes December 10, 1992.

Keywords: