Artists: Nikolaos Kotziamanis and Kyriakos Kontovourkis
Location: General Timayia Avenue, Larnaka. Larnaka district.
Material: Brass and marble
Category: EOKA 1955-59, Inter-communal conflicts 1958, Turkish Invasion
Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou
The memorial was commissioned by Lysi community. Although Lysi village is situated in the occupied part of Cyprus, its’ authorities are regularly elected by their ex-inhabitants in the free part of the island. The same policy is applied to all the occupied municipalities and communities.
The memorial was initially dedicated to eight EOKA 1955-59 dead and the initial unveiling took place in September 6th 1996. In 2000 the memorial was reformed and it was extended physically: The initial construction consisted of the (current) central part with the marble platform and the standing female militant figure on top. In 2000 nine stele in total were added on the left and right hand site with the names of dead and missing Lysi fighters during the inter-communal conflicts of 1958 and the Turkish invasion. The second unveiling of the current memorial took place on September 8th 2011 and is now dedicated to thirty four dead and missing fighters.
~Αγών (Agon), September 8, 1996.
~Αλήθεια (Alithia), December 7, 1989.
~Σημερινή (Simerini), January 1, 1992.
~Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/11, no 694/93.