Tag Archives: Kotziamanis Nikolaos (Κοτζιαμάνης Νικόλαος)

Doros Loizos (Δώρος Λοΐζος) bust

 Δώρος Λοΐζου (1)n Δώρος Λοΐζου (2)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Crossroads of Kaniggos and Stasinou streets, Nicosia. Nicosia district

Material: Bronze 

Category: Public Figures, Political assassinations

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Doros Loizos was a poet and an active member of EDEK (ΕΔΕΚ) political party. He was murdered right after the coup, on August 30, 1974, not far from where his bust is placed. 

The initiative for his bust was taken by the London Socialist-Democratic Movement of Cyprus (ΕΔΕΚ/EDEK). The unveiling took place on August 30th 1985.

On the pedestal is written: “Anyway we will resist them; No matter who they are, no matter how powerful they are” (Πάντως εμείς θα τους αντισταθούμε. Όποιοι και νάναι, όσο δυνατοί και νάναι).

Selected sources:
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.2, document October 29, 1984.

Keywords:

Liberty Monument

Μνημείο ΠεσόντωνΕ (2)n Μνημείο ΠεσόντωνΕ (15)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Agios Pavlos church, Agios Pavlos area, Nicosia. Nicosia district

Dimensions: 2.70 meters

Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59, Turkish Invasion, Ancient Greek and Byzantine legacy

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the memorial was taken in 1992 by the “Markos Drakos” association and initially it was dedicated to all dead and missing from Agios Pavlos and Agios Dometios areas. In 1996 a decision was taken for a liberty statue to complete the commemoration. Donators of the statue, among others, have been the Archbishopric of Cyprus, Agios Dometios Municipality, Agios Dometios Cooperative Savings Bank, the Ministry of Education and Culture, the Ministry of Interior Affairs, and Kykkos Monastery. The unveiling took place on May 2nd 1999. 

Goddess Athena stands motionless on her pedestal. A strong neck supports her head, and her facial traits (identical to those of Koili village bust, Pafos district) appear more masculine than feminine, despite her long hair and the female hidden curves emerging beneath the heavy long chiton. In spite of using the most well-known hallmark of the goddess Athena (her helmet) the statue is explicitly identified as Liberty. In addition to that, the placement of the laurel wreath on Athena’s helmet is not a familiar aesthetic formulation or visual symbolism for the goddess, but a direct way to highlight her subsequent association with heroic endeavor. An embossed letter K on her shield allows further connotations and associations. 

 The inscription on the low pedestal under her feet declares explicitly the devotion of the fighters to motherland: “Using our soul as a shield we safeguard the Greek soil, faithful to the oath for the motherland” (Με την ασπίδα της ψυχής μας εδώ φυλάγομε το ελληνικό μας χώμα πιστοί στον όρκο της πατρίδας). A saying of Odysseus Elytis on the right hand side of the pedestal elaborates the previous inscription “We believed in our steps. We experienced our steps. We called our steps worthy” (Πιστέψαμε στα βήματά μας / ζήσαμε τα βήματά μας / είπαμε τα βήματά μας άξια).

Selected sources:
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/14, documents October 27, 1995; March 20, 1996; November 20, 1996; November 25, 1996.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/19, document March 31, 1999.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

Ανδριάντας Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (3)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis

Location: Archbishop Makarios III Avenue, Limassol. Limassol district

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

In 2002, an ad hoc private committee was in place coordinating negotiations with the authorities with regard to a memorial dedicated to Makarios III. After a period of five years, in 2007 the Pan Cypriot Association of Democratic Partisans took the initiative to bring the project to fruition. The unveiling took place on August 2nd 2007 on the occasion of 30 years since his death.

Selected sources:
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λεμεσού (Limassol Municipality Archive), 15.3.01, documents May 24, 2007; July 5, 2002; March 8, 2007; July 25, 2007.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/13, documents January 31, 2007; May 18, 2007; June 12, 207; June 15, 2007; July 2, 2007.

Keywords:

Aggeliki Sotiriou “Philimon” (Αγγελική Σωτηρίου «Φιλήμων») bust

Αγγελική Σωτηρίου (1)n Αγγελική Σωτηρίου (3)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Cross church, Pano Kivides. Limassol district

Material: Copper

Dimensions: 2.63 meters (in total)

Category: EOKA 1955-59, Cypriot Women

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Aggeliki Sotiriou was a member of EOKA 1955-59 and was known by the nickname “Filimon”. Her memorial is located in close proximity to where she was killed.

The initiative for the commemoration was taken by the women’s organization of the Democratic Party (ΓΟΔΗΚ/GODIK), which also coordinated the fundraising. The unveiling took place on Arpil 1st 1990

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), March 16, 1989, p. 3.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), February 2, 1990, p. 5. 
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/7, document January 29, 1990. 
Keywords

Dinos Pavlou (Ντίνος Παύλου) statue

Ντίνος Παύλου (6)n Ντίνος Παύλου (10)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis

Location: Dora. Limassol district

Category: 1974 Coup

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the statue was taken by an ad hoc private committee. The unveiling took place on July 8th 1985.

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), July 9, 1985.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/4, documents March 2, 1984; May 2, 1984.

Keywords:

Major General Tasos Markou (Τάσος Μάρκου) statue

 Τάσος Μάρκου (1)ν

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis

Location: Kolokasidis roundabout, Agios Dometios. Nicosia district

Material: Copper

Dimensions: 2.80 meters (the statue)

Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59, Inter-communal conflicts 1963-64, Turkish Invasion

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the memorial was taken in 1997 by an ad hoc committee for Tasos Markou statue, composed by officers of the National Guard, which also coordinated an extensive fundraising. The statue is symbolically viewing Pentadaktylos Mountain, in the occupied area, where the fighter is missing. The unveiling took place in 1999.

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), March 17, 1999, p. 16.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/16, document October 23, 1997.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), documents December 10, 1997; February 5, 1999.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee), 14.3.01/5, March 11, 2003.

Keywords:

Memorial to the Lysi dead and missing

Μνημείο Πεσόντων Λυσιωτών (1) n

Μνημείο Πεσόντων Λυσιωτών (3) n

Μνημείο Πεσόντων Λυσιωτών (5) n Μνημείο Πεσόντων Λυσιωτών (6) n

Artists: Nikolaos Kotziamanis and Kyriakos Kontovourkis

Location: General Timayia Avenue, Larnaka. Larnaka district.

Material: Brass and marble

Category: EOKA 1955-59, Inter-communal conflicts 1958, Turkish Invasion

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The memorial was commissioned by Lysi community. Although Lysi village is situated in the occupied part of Cyprus, its’ authorities are regularly elected by their ex-inhabitants in the free part of the island. The same policy is applied to all the occupied municipalities and communities.

The memorial was initially dedicated to eight EOKA 1955-59 dead and the initial unveiling took place in September 6th 1996. In 2000 the memorial was reformed and it was extended physically: The initial construction consisted of the (current) central part with the marble platform and the standing female militant figure on top. In 2000 nine stele in total were added on the left and right hand site with the names of dead and missing Lysi fighters during the inter-communal conflicts of 1958 and the Turkish invasion. The second unveiling of the current memorial took place on September 8th 2011 and is now dedicated to thirty four dead and missing fighters.

Selected sources:
~Αγών (Agon), September 8, 1996.
~Αλήθεια (Alithia), December 7, 1989.
~Σημερινή (Simerini), January 1, 1992.
~Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/11, no  694/93.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

Ανδριάντας Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (1) n

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Grigoris Afxentiou Avenue, close to Evriviadio high school, Larnaka. Larnaka district. 

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the statue was taken by the Larnaka School Board. The unveiling of the statue took place on June 13th 1985. A second ceremony to inaugurate the memorial area, after the reconstruction, took place on January 19th 2011. 

Selected sources:
~Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), May 3, 1979, p. 10. 
~Σημερινή (Simerini), June 13, 1985, p. 7.

Keywords:

“Evmenios Panayiotou” (Ευμένιος Παναγιώτου) Memorial to the Commandos

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Nicosia-Limasol highway, location ‘Ipsoma 124’, Kofinou. Larnaka district. 

Dimensions: 3.50 meters 

Category: Inter-communal conflicts 1967

Photography: Adrienne Christiansen 

The memorial was commissioned by the Limassol Commandos association, and the Larnaka and Limassol communities union. The focal part of it is Sergeant Evmenios Panayiotou statue. The unveiling took place on December 8th 2002.

It is important to note that Evmenios Panayiotou is found with the name of Markantonis in some memorials. 

Selected sources:
Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), December 30, 2002, p. 4.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee), 14.3.01, Meeting Minutes October 2, 1997; documents February 25, 1998; June 16, 2001.

Keywords:

Grigoris Afxentiou (Γρηγόρης Αυξεντίου) statue

Ανδριάντας Γρηγόρη Αυξεντίου (2)n

Ανδριάντας Γρηγόρη Αυξεντίου (16)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Grigoris Afxentiou Avenue, Kalo Chorio. Larnaka district.

Category: EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The statue was commissioned by the Lysi Municipality during the period in office of A. Ttofia. The Afxentiou’ family participated partially to the expenses. Lysi is situated in the occupied part of Cyprus. Nevertheless, all municipalities and communities in the occupied part operate regularly at the free part of the island, electing their local authorities. 

The statue is an exact copy of the one placed at Machairas area, on Troodos Mountain, made by the same sculptor. On the pedestal it is noted that its placement at Kalo Chorio is temporary, until it will be placed in the “liberated Lysi”. The eagle usually accompanies Afxentiou in his depictions because he was also known by his nickname “Golden Eagle of Machairas”.

It is not known at what point the nickname “Golden Eagle of Machairas” was attributed to Afxentiou. A version points to Grivas who supposedly called him “Golden Eagle of Pentadaktylos”. The golden eagle’s (Aquila pennata or Hieraaetus pennatus) natural environment is Pentadaktylos Mountain (in the occupied part of the island), where a certain area is also known as “aetofolia” (eagle’s nest). However, the inscription “Golden Eagle of Machairas” which decorates the pedestal of his bust at the Memorial to the Lakatamia dead and missing (Nicosia district), explicitly links the nickname with Afxentiou extensive activity at Machairas and not at Pentadaktylos.

The unveiling took place on January 16th 1994.

 Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), January 15, 1994, p. 9.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/11, document June 8, 1993.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle) 17.94.7 vol. 7, September 22, 2005.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios ΙΙΙ (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

Ανδριάντας Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' Πεδουλάς (3)n Ανδριάντας Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' Πεδουλάς (4)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Pedoulas village center. Nicosia district. 

Material: Bronze 

Dimensions: 3 meters 

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the memorial was taken in 1981 by an ad hoc private committee. The sculptor, Nikolaos Kotziamanis offered his work in gratis. The unveiling took place on August 23rd 1981. 

Selected sources:
~ Κύπρος (Kypros), August 24, 1981, p. 1.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/3, document May 10, 1979.

Keywords

Nikos Christou Solomou (Νίκος Χρίστου Σολωμού) statue

 Ανδριάντας Νίκου Χρίστου Σολωμού (1)n Ανδριάντας Νίκου Χρίστου Σολωμού (6)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Agios Rafael church, Pachyammos. Nicosia district. 

Category: 1974 Coup

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The statue was funded by the family, the “friends, co-fighters and those who appreciate the hero”, as the inscription states. The unveiling took place on July 26th 2008. 

Keywords

Memorial to Agiou Theodorou dead and missing

 Μνημείο πεσόντων και αγνοουμένων (2)n

Μνημείο πεσόντων και αγνοουμένων (8)n Μνημείο πεσόντων και αγνοουμένων (6)n

Μνημείο πεσόντων και αγνοουμένων (9)n

Μνημείο πεσόντων και αγνοουμένων (10)n Μνημείο πεσόντων και αγνοουμένων (11)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Agios Theodoros Community Committee premises. Larnaka district. 

Material: Copper

Dimensions: 164 cm x 51 cm x 38 cm

Category: Turkish Invasion

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The memorial is dedicated to Sergeant Antonakis Kosta Manoli and to Lieutenant Filios Tsigaridis. It was commissioned by Agios Theodoros Community Committee and the Agios Theodoros Nationalist Union. The unveiling took place on December 28th 1997. 

Selected sources:
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/15, Meeting Minutes March 4, 1997.

Keywords:

Machairas commemoration place

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Ομοίωμα Ολοκαυτώματος Γρηγόρη Αυξεντίου (7)n Ομοίωμα Ολοκαυτώματος Γρηγόρη Αυξεντίου (12)n Ανδριάντας Γρηγόρη Αυξεντίου (2)n Ανδριάντας Γρηγόρη Αυξεντίου (25)n

Photography: Adrienne Christiansen & Evangelia Matthopoulou

Grigoris Afxentiou (Γρηγόρης Αυξεντίου) statue

Machairas Golden Eagle

“Threshing floor and Machairas’ Eagle” Memorial 

All three memorial pieces are dedicated to Grigoris Afxentiou, one of the most renowned EOKA 1955-59 fighters. Georgios Grivas (known by the nickname Digenis) personally recruited Afxentiou counting on the invaluable experience he had as a lieutenant in the Greek army, where he served between the years 1948 and 1952. Afxentiou was killed, trapped in his hideout in Machairas area, Troodos Mountain, after a long battle. The British soldiers burned the cave he was hidden in, after his refusal to surrender.

Today, his hideout, close to the monastery, is restored and serves as pilgrimage for Cypriots. It is not known at what point the nickname “Golden Eagle of Machairas” was attributed to Afxentiou. A version points to Georgios Grivas who supposedly called him “Golden Eagle of Pentadaktylos”. The golden eagle’s (Aquila pennata or Hieraaetus pennatus) natural environment is Pentadaktylos Mountain (in the occupied part of the island), where a certain area is also known as “aetofolia” (eagle’s nest). However, the inscription “Golden Eagle of Machairas” which decorates the pedestal of his bust at the Memorial to the Lakatamia dead and missing (Nicosia district), explicitly links the nickname with his extensive activity at Machairas and not at Pentadaktylos. 

In February 2006 a museum was inaugurated at Machairas, dedicated to his life and deeds. The material used for all three pieces listed here is brass.

The initiative of Grigoris Afxentiou statue was taken by the artist Nikolaos Kotziamanis and Archbishop Chrisostomos A’, and funded by the Cypriot Church. The oversized statue (7.5 meters in height, initially planned to reach the 20 meters) is placed on a plateau adjacent to Machairas monastery. The unveiling took place on March 1st 1992. According to Kotziamanis it is aspired to “become a universal symbol of freedom and fighting spirit”. 

George Kyriacou was the artist who created the golden eagle, an abstractive sculpture of 7 x 7 meters, and the “Threshing floor and Machairas’ Eagle” memorial. 

The initiative for the Golden Eagle sculpture was taken in 1971 by the Cypriot Federation of Reserve Officers (POEA/ΠΟΕΑ), the Cypriot Workers Confederation (SEK/ΣΕΚ), and the Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle (SIMAE/ΣΙΜΑΕ). The unveiling took place on March 2nd 1997. 

The “Threshing floor and Machairas’ Eagle” memorial is reminiscent of his burned body in life size. Placed in the middle of a circle 12 meters in diameter, paved with marble, it attempts an explicit and implicit reference to the mythical iconic hero of Greek tradition, Digenis Akritas, who legendarily fought with death at the “threshing floors”. 

The historic events ignited an abstract, expressionistic formulation of the deformed body, which lie almost dismembered on the bare stone. The textures of the brass further underline the contrast between the materials and the wildness of the natural environment, exacerbating the dramatic feelings.   

The initiative for this memorial was taken in 1997 by the Cypriot Federation of Reserve Officers (POEA/ΠΟΕΑ), the Associations of EOKA fighters, and the Cypriot Workers Confederation (SEK/ΣΕΚ).

The Cypriot Chamber of Fine Arts expressed its’ strong opposition with regard to the oversize scale of the statue. Through the press its’ members argued that it is “of barbaric nature and alien to the historical greatness of Greek art”, implying the physical scale of all ancient Greek art and architecture. The family of the dead fighter strongly supported the artist’s proposal and thus, the project was concluded.

The Golden Eagle and the monastery panoramic images are courtesy of Dr. Adrienne Christiansen. 

Selected sources:
~ Αγών (Agon), August 4, 1972, p. 3. 
~ Αλήθεια (Alithia), January 28, 2009. 
~ Μάχη (Mahi), January 29, 2009, p. 12.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), March 24, 1983, p. 3.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), August 24, 1979, p. 4.  
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), October 28, 1989, p. 12.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), November 1, 1989, p. 18. 
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), November 12, 1989, p. 6
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), November 16, 1989, p. 6.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), January 30, 1990, p. 10.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), June 30, 1971, p. 8.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), August 4, 1972, p. 1.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/9, document May 19, 1970. 
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/13, document August 2, 1995. 
~ Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle, 17.1.2002, vol. 1-2, documents October 1, 2002; February 22, 2002; February 2, 2009; Meeting Minutes January 12, 2006; June 26, 2008; November 6, 2008; January 29, 2009.
~ Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle, 17.94.7, vol. 7, document March 15, 2005. 
~ Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle, 17.2009.10, document February 25, 2009; Meeting Minutes February 12, 2009.
~ Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle, 17.2009.11, document May 12, 2009.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Old location

Ανδριάντας Αρχ. Μακαρίου Γ' Θρονί (5)n 

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Kykkos-Throni area, Panayia Kykkos monastery. Nicosia district

Material: Bronze 

Dimensions: 9.5 x 4.3 x 5.5 meters 

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Adrienne Christiansen & Evangelia Matthopoulou

This oversized statue of Makarios III is also known as “Colossus” or (unofficially) as “BigMac”. Although Kotziamanis was already working on the models in 1979, the whole construction took a long time in preparation and its placement in the Archbishopric yard, in the old city of Nicosia, happened only on July 24th 1987. The initiative for the statue was taken by Archbishop Chrisostomos I, who apparently acted contrary to the wishes of Nicosia Municipality authorities. The statue was supposed to symbolize “the fights for freedom and justice to the citizens of Cyprus; to become inspiration and guidance for the generations to come, so that they continue his work” 

Because “Colossus” location required the displacement and relocation of Archbishop Kyprianos’ bust within the Archbishopric yard, and possibly because of the unavoidable political connotations the statue’s extraordinary size raised, this specific Makarios monument ignited intense controversial debates and extensive press reports. Due to the tension created the initially programmed unveiling for August 3rd was postponed, and eventually cancelled. 

An alternative proposal for the statue to be relocated at Throni area, where Makarios III is buried, was already on the table in the beginning of August 1987. The relocation took place only after Chrisostomos II, the new Archbishop, reopened the issue in 2007. The unveiling at the current location took place on August 3rd 2013. 

The old location images are available here courtesy of Dr. Adrienne Christiansen. 

Selected sources:
~ Αλήθεια (Alithia), July 13, 1987.
~ Αλήθεια (Alithia), July 17, 1987.
~ Αλήθεια (Alithia), September 9, 1987.
~ Επίκαιρη (Epikeri), July 25, 1987.
~ Κήρυκας (Kirykas), July 12, 1987, p. 3.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 11, 1987.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 12, 1987.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 14, 1987.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 16, 1987.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), July 25, 1987.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), April 20, 1979, p. 2.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), April 21, 1979, p. 3.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), 27 July, 1987, p. 13.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), July 30, 1987, p. 2.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.1, document February 10, 1981; Meeting Minutes March 23, 1981;
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.2, document July 24, 1987.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.3, documents July 11, 1987; August 27, 1987. August 31, 1987; September 1, 1987; September 7, 1987; September 22, 1987; September 29, 1987.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Λευκωσίας (Nicosia Municipality Archive), 06-7.5, Meeting Minutes July 22, 1987; September 24, 1987.

Keywords:

Memorial to the Morfou dead and missing

Μνημείο πεσόντων Μορφιτών (2)n Μνημείο πεσόντων Μορφιτών (6)n Μνημείο πεσόντων Μορφιτών (8)n Μνημείο πεσόντων Μορφιτών (11)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis

Location: Astromeritis barricade 

Material: Marble and bronze 

Category: Inter-communal conflicts 1963-64, Turkish Invasion

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The initiative for the memorial was taken by Morfou cultural union, active at Astromeritis village. The unveiling took place during 2003. Morfou is situated in the occupied zone of Cyprus. The use of occupied areas to name schools, cultural or athletic unions and associations, even shops and restaurants, is a widespread habit in Cyprus and a way of preserving historical memory. 

This memorial combines both symbolic representations and realistic narration. The cross-like sword, the wires, the photographs on the hands of the youngster and the (missing) man trapped behind the closed iron wall are evocative visual narrations. They frame the Cypriot 1974 events, all summarized by the missing men, the occupied village, the inaccessible land, and the battles given in the name of motherland and creed. In addition, the missing man, the bas reliefs with the weeping elder men and women, and the angry faces of the youngsters function as snapshots, reiterates the events of 1974.

Selected sources
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/2, Meeting Minutes October 23, 2001.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/4, document September 22, 2002.

Keywords:

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Ανδριάντας Μακαρίου (7)n Ανδριάντας Μακαρίου (10)n

Artists: Nikolaos Kotziamanis (the statue), Kyriakos Tamanas (the mosaics)

Location: Archbishop Makarios III Avenue, Akaki village. Nicosia district

Dimensions: 3.65 meters

Category: Cypriot Church, EOKA 1955-59, Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Makarios’ III statue, standing on a pedestal, is symmetrically flagged by two mosaic walls behind him. The inscription “Peoples who want to live, and who fight to live, do not perish” («Δεν χάνονται οι λαοί που θέλουν να ζήσουν και αγωνίζονται να ζήσουν») specifies in an eloquent way the visual descriptions of the mosaic panels. Both of them narrate in a fragmented synthesis the suffering of the Cypriot people, the wailing and mourning of the mothers and wives, and the despair of the soldiers. The wires and the prison bars create further emotionally charged connotations, adding symbolic value to the pictures. 

The memorial was commissioned by the expatriates from Akaki leaving in London, the Kykkos monastery, the Cypriot government, the Cypriot Archdiocese, and Akaki community. The unveiling took place on October 19th 1986. 

Selected sources:
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), October 19, 1986, p. 20.
~ Φιλελεύθερος, (Fileleftheros), October 19, 1986, p. 1.

Keywords

Memorial to the Freedom Fighters

Μνημείο Ηρώων(2)n Μνημείο Ηρώων(6)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Panayia Chriseleousa yard, Koili village. Pafos district.

Dimensions: 2 meters x 65 ~ 80 cm x 65 ~ 80 cm

Category: War Volunteers, EOKA 1955-59 

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The memorial is dedicated to the Koili EOKA dead fighters, and to those who were killed during the Greek Independence War of 1821, the Balkan Wars, the Greco-Turkish War of 1919-1922 and the Second World War. It was commissioned by the Koili expatriates association. The unveiling took place on July 8th 2001. 

Although the bust has no title and therefore its meaning is open to interpretations, the helmet indicates goddess Athena. This head is an exact copy of Athens’ head at the memorial to the EOKA 1955-59 dead at Agios Pavlos church in Nicosia, known also as “Liberty Monument”. Both are made by the same artist. Strong necks support the goddesses’ heads and their facial traits appear more masculine than feminine, despite their long hair. The placement of the laurel wreath on the helmet in both cases is not a familiar aesthetic formulation or symbolism for Athena, but eloquently reflects the intentions of the sculpture’s commissioners.

Selected sources: 
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), July 9, 2001, p. 3.

Keywords:

Argyros Drousiotis (Αργυρός Δρουσιώτης) bust

Προτομή Αργυρού Δρουσιώτη (5)n Προτομή Αργυρού Δρουσιώτηn

Προτομή Αργυρού Δρουσιώτη (3)n

ArtistNikolaos Kotziamanis  

LocationDrouseia open ‘theater’. Pafos district.

Dimensions: 146 cm x 57 cm x 57 cm

Category: War Volunteers, Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Argyros Drousiotis was an educator and served as volunteer during the Balkan Wars. The memorial was commissioned by expatriates from Drouseia and the unveiling took place in 1986.

Keywords:

Evagoras Pallikaridis (Ευαγόρας Παλληκαρίδης) bust

Ε. Παλληκαρίδης  (4)n

Ε. Παλληκαρίδης  (14)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis 

Location: Evagoras Pallikaridis Association Building, Evagoras Pallikaridis Avenue, Pafos Municipality. Pafos district. 

Dimensions: 189 cm x 64 cm x 47 cm

Category: EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The bust is an exact copy of Pallikaridis’ head, made by Kotziamanis for Pallikaridis statue at Pafos. It was funded by Loukas Pouroullis, a Cypriot expatriate living in Africa, major contributor of “Evagoras Pallikaridis” association. The unveiling took place on July 26th 2006. 

Another identical bust is situated in the military camp at Pafos (Anarita Recruitment Center), by the same artist. 

Selected sources
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/19, documents September 8, 1999; September 14, 1999.

Keywords:

Evagoras M. Pallikaridis (Ευαγόρας Μ. Παλληκαρίδης) statue

Ε. Παλληκαρίδης (2)n Ε. Παλληκαρίδης (11)nΕ. Παλληκαρίδης (6)n

Artist: Nikolaos Kotziamanis

Location: Opposite Nikolaidio high school, Georgios Grivas Digenis Avenue,

Pafos Municipality. Pafos district.

Material: Brass

Dimensions: 3 meters

Category: EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Pallikaridis was the last Cypriot EOKA fighter to be executed by the British authorities. He was hanged at Nicosia central prison on March 14th 1957.

“Evagoras Pallikaridis” sports club took the initiative for the memorial in 1986 and it was funded by Loukas Pouroullis, a Cypriot expatriate in Africa. Its’ placement opposite  Nikolaidio high school (where Pallikaridis had been a student) raised objections among the Municipality’s authorities because of the incongruity with the already existing buildings.

An alternative location was proposed at “Dasoudi” area on the way to Tsada village, where Pallikaridis was detained. “Evagoras Pallikaridis” sports club members and his family, who supported the school area proposal, argued that a location at the center of the city was appropriate for his significance and the spot, being in visual contact with the school, would constantly remind and teach students of patriotic values. The unveiling took place on March 11th 1990 at the initially suggested (by his co-fighters) location opposite Nikolaidio high school.

Pallikaridis’ slightly modified words are written on the statue’s low pedestal:
“I will follow an uphill; I will follow paths; I will find the stairs that lead to freedom”. (Θα πάρω μια ανηφοριά, θα πάρω μονοπάτια, θα βρω τα σκαλοπάτια που παν στη λευτεριά).

 

Selected sources:
~ Ο Αγών (O Agon), March 1, 1989.
~ Ο Αγών (O Agon), March 7, 1989.
~ Ο Αγών (O Agon), March 13, 1990.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), February 13, 1989.
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), February 16, 1989.,
~ Σημερινή (Simerini), February 23, 1989.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), December 8, 1988, p. 15.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), March 3, 1989, p. 3.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), March 1, 1989.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), March 5, 1989.
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), March 12, 1990.
~ Αρχείο Δήμου Πάφου (Pafos Municipality Archive), 35.1988, document February 14, 1989.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.2009.10, documents February16, 2009; April 16, 2009.

Keywords: