Artist: George Kyriacou
Location: Area “Saranta-Mili” (40th-Mile), Kakopetria-Troodos road. Nicosia district.
Category: EOKA 1955-59, Modern sculpture
Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou
With the exception of the archaic helmet and the shield, and unlike the commemorative tradition in Cyprus, the figure is depicted in a remarkably abstract way, as an ideogram of all male fighters. However, the visual reference to these two items, secure the respect to the ancestral tradition, balancing the bold aesthetic result of the statue.
The statue was commissioned by SIMAE (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), the Kakopetria Community Committee, a private committee for the memorial and the Cypriot Workers Confederation (SEK/ΣΕΚ). The unveiling took place on June 27th 1993.