Artists for the Monument for Memory and Honor:
Sculptor: Nikos Kouroussis, Architect: Margarita Danou
Artist for Georgios Grivas (Γεώργιος Γρίβας) statue:
Artist for the reliefs: Evangelos Moustakas
Artist for the paintings: Andreas Makariou
Location: Chlorakas coast, Agios Georgios/Alyki location. Pafos district.
Dimensions: 14 meters, + 1.5 meter the stainless steel rays of the Monument
2.5 meters the Grivas statue
Category: EOKA 1955-59, Modern sculpture
Photography: Adrienne Christiansen & Evangelia Matthopoulou
The initial planning and the meetings for the construction of an extensive memorial area started in 1993 among SIMAE (Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggles), Chlorakas community and the EOKA 1955-59 Fighters’ Union. The memorial area commemorates two historical events. The first is the arrival of Georgios Grivas (known as Grivas Digenis) at Chlorakas on November 11, 1954 with a view to organize and lead EOKA (National Organization of Cypriot Fighters) guerilla struggle. The second is the capture of “Agios Georgios” boat by the British soldiers on January 25, 1955. The arrangement of the place would include the already existing small museum where “Agios Georgios” boat was kept. The artistic proposals were submitted to the special committee SIMAE created for this specific reason.
Kouroussis’ Monument to Memory and Honor was placed at the exact place where George Grivas disembarked marking the start of EOKA struggle. According to the artist’s initial description, the two pillars, made of cement and coated with bronze, originate from the shape and symbolic function of a belfry – as a call to arms – while the stainless steel rays on the top would depict a ship. His proposal was promoted in November 1996 as the most appropriate of all submissions for consideration. Nevertheless during the process of the construction the ship depiction was abandoned by Kouroussis and the abstract arrangement of rays took its place. The unveiling of the Monument took place on November 26th 2000.
Georgios Grivas statue was commissioned by SIMAE; the General Georgios Grivas Digenis Foundation; and the EOKA 1955-59 Fighters Union. It is an exact copy of Georgios Grivas’ statue at Limassol, made by the same artist, Theodoulos Theodoulou. The unveiling took place on November 26th 2000.
The statue was initially placed in front of the Monument to Memory and Honor. After intense protests by the artist Nikos Kouroussis and the architect Margarita Danou, it was moved and placed close to the nearby commemorative wall.
The reliefs on the commemorative wall that connect the monument with the museum are sculpted on white marble by the Greek sculptor Evangelos Moustakas. They narrate the arrival of Grivas, the weapons’ transportation and the capture of “Agios Georgios” boat. They were commissioned by SIMAE and the EOKA 1955-59 Fighters Union.
After its capture, “Agios Georgios” boat was sold by the British in 1960 in an auction. The Mayor of Pafos, following Makarios’ III instructions, bought the boat and placed it in a covered area, constructed for that purpose. This initial construction was renovated and expanded in 1994 and, again, in 2000. Today it is named ”Agios Georgios Boat Museum”. In addition to the boat, inside the museum remnants of the guerrilla guns and ammunition are displayed, while black and white photographs of EOKA fighters decorate part of the walls around the boat. The paintings on the walls follow a distinct aesthetic of socialist realism and capture such symbols as the Greek flag and the cross; figures of the crew; “Agios Georgios” boat; “Sirin” ship (with which Georgios Grivas arrived in Cyprus in November 1954); and stylized scenes of the debarkation.
Approximately 200 meters from Alyki location where Georgios Grivas disembarked in 1954, Zina Kanther built a small chapel dedicated to Saint George. The Diocese of Pafos commissioned the frescoes made by George and Alexander Konstantinidis.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), August 26, 1993, p. 17.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), June 14, 1996, p. 16.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), July 5, 1996, p. 11.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), November 10, 1998, p. 2.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), November 27, 2000, p. 10.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/13, Meeting Minutes November 8, 1995.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/14, Meeting Minutes May 3, 1996.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/16, Meeting Minutes February 25, 1998.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/18, document December 11,1998.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee), 14.3.01/5, document February 27, 2003.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.2008.9, documents January 11, 2008; June 6, 2008; Meeting Minutes May 13, 2008.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.2009.10, document April 16, 2009; Meeting Minutes April 26, 2002; April 9, 2009; May 7, 2009.
~ Ιστορικό Αρχείο ΣΙΜΑΕ (Historical Archive of the Board for the Historical Memory of the EOKA 1955-59 struggle), 17.2009.11, documents May 12, 2009; June 12, 2009; October 27, 2009.