Tag Archives: Falireas Vasos (Φαληρέας Βάσος)

Nikolaos Kl. Lanitis (Νικόλαος Κλ. Λανίτης) bust

Προτομή Ν. Κλ. Λανίτη (3)n Προτομή Ν. Κλ. Λανίτη (7)n

Artist: Vasos Falireas 

Location: Tsirion stadium, Limassol. Limassol district 

Material: Marble

Dimensions: 141 cm x 50 cm x 36 cm

Category: War Volunteers, Public Figures, Union (énosis)

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Nikolas Lanitis was a founding member of the athletic club ‘Olympia’, which he also supported financially, and volunteer in the early 20th century Greek wars. The initiative for the bust was taken by the Limassol gymnastic union “Olympia”. It was made in 1965 by the Greek sculptor Vasos Falireas and the unveiling took place on April 26th 1965.

Selected sources:
~ Savvidis Christakis, Περιδιαβάζοντας τη Λεμεσό (Strolling around Limassol). Limassol Municipality: 1991.


Kostis Palamas (Κωστής Παλαμάς) bust

Κωστής Παλαμάς (1)n Κωστής Παλαμάς (2)n

Artist: Vasos Falireas 

Location: Museum Avenue, next to the Nicosia Municipal Theatre, Nicosia. Nicosia district

Material: Copper

Category:  Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Kostis Palamas (1859-1943) is ranked among the most prominent Greek poets of the late 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. EPOK’s initiative was in array with its ideology and activities that encourage the promotion and cementing of Greek, ancient and contemporary, culture in Cyprus.

Τhe initiative for the monument was taken in 1972 by the Hellenic Intellectual Association of Cyprus (EΠOK/EPOK). The unveiling took place on February 27th 1974. The work was commissioned to the Greek sculptor Vasos Falireas by Makarios III. Falireas made an identical monument in marble for the Athens Municipality Cultural Center and the unveiling took place on March 7th 1975. 

 Selected sources:
~ Αγών (Agon), February 23, 1974, p. 1. 
~ Τα Νέα (Ta Nea), March 1, 1974.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), February 28, 1974, p. 1, 8. 
~ Matthopoulou, Evangelia. 2012. «Μνημεία, Προτομές και Ανδριάντες στο Δήμο Λευκωσίας» (“Monuments, busts and statues in Nicosia Municipality”), Φιλολογική Κύπρος 2009-2011 (Philoloyiki Kypros 2009-2011), Nicosia: Hellenic Intellectual Association of Cyprus.


Charalambos Mouskos (Χαράλαμπος Μούσκος) bust

Προτομή Χαράλαμπου Γεωργίου Μούσκου (1)n Προτομή Χαράλαμπου Γεωργίου Μούσκου (2)n Προτομή Χαράλαμπου Γεωργίου Μούσκου (3)n

Artist: Vasos Falireas 

Location: Panagia elementary school. Pafos district.

Material: Marble

Dimensions: 152 cm x 39 cm x 30 cm

Category: EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The bust was commissioned by Mouskou family and the unveiling took place in 1960. 


Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue

Ανδριάντας Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (1)n

Ανδριάντας Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (31)n Ανδριάντας Αρχιεπισκόπου Μακαρίου Γ' (17)n

Artist: Vasos Falireas 

Location: Historical Cultural Center Archbishop Makarios III, Panagia village.

Pafos district. 

Dimensions: 3 meters

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, EOKA 1955-59

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The statue was commissioned by the Panagia Community and the unveiling took place on August 3rd 1982.

Selected sources:
~ Χαραυγή (Haravgi), December 24, 1980, p. 8.


Dionysios Solomos (Διονύσιος Σολωμός) bust


Διονύσιος Σολωμός (14)n Διονύσιος Σολωμός (17)n

Artist: Vasos Falireas 

Location: Dionysios Solomos square, Georgios Grivas Digenis Avenue,

Pafos Municipality. Pafos district. 

Material: Pentelic marble

Dimensions: 173 cm (+15 cm the basis ) x 51 cm x 37 cm

Category: Public Figures

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

Solomos (1798-1857) is regarded as the national Greek poet. His poems are constantly referring to the aspired freedom of the enslaved Greek nation and to the Greek War of Independence (1821). One of his poems, the “Hymn to Liberty” written in 1823 became the Greek national anthem in 1865. Solomos is considered as the Cypriot national poet, too, as, officially since 1966 Cyprus shares the same national anthem with Greece.

The bust was commissioned in 1972 by the Pafos’ Naturalist Group. The unveiling took place on June 2nd 1974. 

Selected sources
Χαραυγή (Haravgi), February 16, 1973, p. 2.