Tag Archives: Kazamias Andros (Καζαμίας Άνδρος)

Archbishop Makarios III (Αρχιεπίσκοπος Μακάριος Γ’) statue


Artist: Andros Kazamias

Location: Police Headquarters, Lemesou Avenue, Aglandjia. Nicosia district

Material: Stone

Category: Cypriot Church, Public Figures, ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59

Photography: Adrienne Christiansen

The initiative for the statue of Makarios III was taken by the Police Associations and was commissioned in 1985 after a competition call. The cost was covered by fundraising among the Cypriot Police force members. The unveiling took place on June 18th 1992

Selected sources:
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), March 24, 1985, p. 2.
~ Φιλελεύθερος (Fileleftheros), January 19, 1992, p. 20.
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/4, competition call document; Meetings Minutes June 29, 1984; October 18, 1984.
~ Αρχείο Συμβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Μνημείων Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (Advisory Monuments’ Committee) 14.3.01/6, documents October 13, 2003; July 17, 2003; January 26, 2004.


Memorial to the Galata dead

 Μνημείο πεσόντων Γαλάτας (4)n Μνημείο πεσόντων Γαλάτας (7)n

Artist: Andros Kazamias

Location: Opposite Panayia Odigitria church, Galata village. Nicosia district.

Material: Brass

Dimensions: 5 meters in height

Category: EOKA 1955-59, Inter-communal conflicts 1963-64, Turkish Invasion

Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou

The bas relief on the front of the pillar depicts two empty shirts, an idea drawing its origins from Giorgos Seferis’ poem “Eleni”.

The memorial is dedicated to Chrysanthos Mylonas ((Χρύσανθος Μυλωνάς) and Evagoras Papachristoforou (Ευαγόρας Παπαχριστοφόρου) who died during the EOKA 1955-59 struggles; to Andreas Yeroudis (Ανδρέας Γερούδης) who died during the Inter-communal conflicts of 1964; to Georgios Zaharia (Γεώργιος Ζαχαρία) who died during the Turkish invasion; and to Panayiotis Athanasiou (Παναγιώτης Αθανασίου). It was commissioned in 1985 by Galata Community Committee and the architect Iakovos Filippou who collaborated with Andros Kazamias for the construction.

Selected sources:
~ Κρατικό Αρχείο Κύπρου, Αρχείο Πολιτιστικών Υπηρεσιών Υπουργείου Παιδείας & Πολιτισμού (State Archive of Cyprus): 268/1968/11, document May 23, 1985.