Location: Panayia church yard, Potamitissa. Limassol district
Category: ΕΟΚΑ 1955-59
Photography: Evangelia Matthopoulou
The initiative for the memorial was taken in 1961 by the Potamitissa Orthodox Institution (ΘΟΙ/ΤΗΟΙ), and the Potamitissa Orthodox Christian Youth Union. Due to erosion over time, in 1998 a new construction, an exact copy of the original, replaced the old. The initiative for this restoration work was taken by the Potamitissa emigrants’ association and the Potamitissa community. The unveiling took place on May 28th 2000.
The memorial replicates all the familiar and symbolic visual patterns of Greek antiquity and 19th century neoclassicism in Greece. The fluted pillars standing on elaborated, tall bases are crowned with capitals decorated with astragals and darts, topped with palmette motifs. The white marble used in all the parts of the memorial accentuates further the links to the Greek architecture tradition. The familiar black and white photographs of the two fighters are framed with laurel wreaths and Greek flags. The two angels or victories above them, each holding a laurel wreath underline their sacrificial death and imply their lofty deeds. Between them, the bas relief with the wailing female figure, mother, wife or motherland, is reminiscent of the pain and the unhealed trauma. At the same time it replicates a familiar pattern used in 19th century Greece to symbolize death and grief. Last but not least, the demarcation of the commemorative place with fencing links it directly to the elaborated and prominent tombs of Athens’ 1st cemetery.