Artist: Georgios Dimitriadis
Location: Agia Napa church, Limassol. Limassol district
Material: Pentelic marble
Category: War Volunteers, Public sculpture before 1960
Photography: Iliana Zinonos
The monument is dedicated to the volunteers during the Balkan wars. The initiative for the memorial was taken by Michail Michailidis, Mayor of Limassol during the years 1913-14, the Limassol Municipality, and the Agia Napa church. The unveiling took place on June 14th 1915.
Dimitriadis sculpted in marble the, usually, bronze pot in which is burning the heroic sacrificial flame at the altar. Around the pot is wrapped another familiar symbol, the honorary laurel garland.
~ Papapolyviou Petros, Η Κύπρος και οι Βαλκανικοί Πόλεμοι. Συμβολή στην Ιστορία του Κυπριακού Εθελοντισμού (Cyprus and the Balkan Wars. Contribution to the History of Cypriot Volunteers). Nicosia: Center of Scientific Research, Sources and Studies of Cypriot History XXVI, 1997.